Mt. Toby Ultra & 24k
Welcome to Western Mass's newest Trail & Ultra Race!
**Update - the 2020 race was cancelled due to COVID-19. Email RD for information regarding the 'On Your Own' Challenge.**
Distance: Either 24k or 50k options. The 24k is one loop over/around the mountain. The 50k is a figure-8 around and over the mountain.
This race is a fundraiser for Girls on the Run of Western Massachusetts, which inspires girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Isn't that AWESOME?
This is a low-key race, where you'll enjoy an early season run on some challenging trails and kick the season off with some fun!
Date: April 11, 2020
Time: 7:00am start for 50k, 9:00am start for 24k.
Check in: 6:00am to 6:45am for 50k; 8:00am - 8:45am for 24k.
Location: Sunderland Town Park, Park Road, Sunderland MA
Cost: $35 for 24k, $70 for 50k
Bonus: buffs to the first 100 who register!
Bonus: buffs to the first 100 who register!
Sound like fun? Sign up here.
There will be day-of registration available, however prices will jump so pre-reg preferred.
A bit of the details on this race are below:
1) Elevation Gain/Loss: The course is hilly - it's at Mt. Toby after all! Folks in the 24k race will get to the peak once and climb about 2500 feet total. The 50k folks will summit three times and climb about 6900 feet total.
2) The Course: The course is on rugged double track trails and some single track trails (course map here - it's hard to follow, but you get the idea). You'll have to scramble through a short cave along the course (we'll provide the headlamps, further info on the cave below), and 50k runners will run (well, more likely hike) next to a beautiful waterfall.
3) Aid Stations: There will be plenty of aid along the way, see the aid station chart (including opening/closing times, and mileages) here.
4) Crew Access: Your crew can cheer you on (and support you) at the following locations:
1) The start/finish line at the Sunderland Town Park (Park Road, Sunderland MA)
2) Cranberry Pond (Reservation Road near Rt. 63, Sunderland MA)
3) Bull Hill (Bull Hill Road, Sunderland MA)
These three locations are approximately 15 minutes drive away from each other.
5) Start Location: The race will start/finish at the Sunderland Town Park, located on Park Road in Sunderland. From the center of Sunderland, there are small green signs that direct you there.
6) The Price: We are trying to keep the price as reasonable as possible, however with a relatively new race we need to budget for a few unexpected things. As mentioned before, all proceeds go towards the Girls on the Run of Western Mass, so any excess funds will help promote young girls in the area gaining confidence through running opportunities.
7) Weather warning: This race is held during the early spring, and this is New England. Further, Mt. Toby has an amazing ability to shed water in excess of what falls from the sky. It can be muddy, it can be icy, or it could be hot and humid. Prepare for anything!!!
8) Nourishment: We'll have all the basics needed for a race! For hydration, we will have water, energy drink, and soda. If colder temps are predicted, there may be hot soup. For food, there will be the standard cookies, candy, chips, pretzels, fruit, etc.
9) Medical: There will be amazing Sunderland Fire Department crews along the way, so see them (or aid station volunteers) if needed.
10) Guidelines: If you are stopping, you must let a race official know. Per USATF regulations, we discourage the use of headphones. Otherwise, have some fun out there!
11) AWDs: We think that Athletes with Disabilities are awesome and welcome them to participate at this event! To learn how it all works, we will follow the general rules as set forth here.
12) Volunteers: We of course can't do this without the support of volunteers to help out runners along the way. If you are interested in volunteering, reach out! Thank you!!!
14) Prizes: Patagonia shirts will be given to the top 3 in each of the male and female category, for each distance race. There will be something special for the male and female category champion for each distance.
Contact Info: Let us know if you have further questions that aren't answered here. You can contact the race director at racedirector_at_7sisterstrailrace_dot_com.